Dirty John Bonny

A lost boy who wants to join the pirates ...

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Dragon update

PZ Myers at Pharyngula has more on the genetics of the parthenogenetic Komodo Dragons here.

Previously I wondered aloud how all this worked.

Biology 101: Sex is far more complicated than I ever thought. Meiosis (so I've learned) is, in the normal course of events, a two-stage process that produces four haploid gametes. Somehow the second stage of this is skipped in these lizards producing full diploid eggs.

Yeah, I don't get it either. But due to my efforts I'm now approaching my previous junior-high-school level of understanding.

Which was, incidentally, just before I figured out that I didn't want any truck with that sort of sex stuff anyway.

Interesting facts gleaned from PZ's post:
  • The way gender determination works in the Komodo Dragons means that all the babies are boys. They are unlike the Virgin Whiptail lizards that sustain themselves as a species of females.
  • They had to do a DNA analysis to determine whether these were really parthenogenetic. Female lizards can retain viable sperm for months until they're damn well ready.




Related: Another dragon.


Powered by Blogger