Dirty John Bonny

A lost boy who wants to join the pirates ...

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Red-handed Jack


So Tootles explained prudently, "You see, sir, I don't think my mother would like me to be a pirate. Would your mother like you to be a pirate, Slightly?"

He winked at Slightly, who said mournfully, "I don't think so," as if he wished things had been otherwise. "Would your mother like you to be a pirate, Twin?"

"I don't think so," said the first twin, as clever as the other.

"Stow this gab," roared Hook, and the spokesmen were dragged back. "You, boy," he said, addressing John, "you look as if you had a little pluck in you. Dids't never want to be a pirate, my hearty?"

Now John had sometimes experienced this hankering at maths, and he was struck by Hook's picking him out.

"I once thought of calling myself Red-handed Jack," he said diffidently.
-J.M Barrie, Peter Pan.


(Props to the cast and crew in the illustration - it seems to have disappeared from the web so I can't give any specific credit.)

Powered by Blogger