Dirty John Bonny

A lost boy who wants to join the pirates ...

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Dinosaurs



Kids love dinosaurs. I know I did. Still do.

Through them I first learned of the ancient age of the earth, and about science and evolution. I worked through all the dino books in my 1960's small-town library. I was thrilled to see, one summer, the concrete dinosaurs at Rapid City, South Dakota.



Dinosaurs are a powerful wedge.

I recently noticed this: the Dark Side of religion and ignorance knows the power of monster-based science - Google "dinosaurs children evolution" and you'll see most of the first hundred or so hits lead to fundamentalist-bible-creationist crap intended to counter the acquistition of knowlege about the world we live in. Dinosaurs in the Garden of Eden, dinosaurs on Noah's Ark, disoaurs in Job and Isaiah.
It was depressing to see, but there are still libraries, some schools, and web sites like this that acknowlege reality.


Dinosaurs may be our nation's best hope. I'd like to think so.

Powered by Blogger